You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTAN > General Chat

Unread 2nd July, 2004, 11:09 PM
Dominating

, well i have a public list of everyone that plays on my servers and a hell of alot of other servers.

Its a 7 meg txt list over 3 years worth of ips.

but if your worried about peeps getting your ip well the only way for them not to is dont get on the net :p

btw heres a list for ya

http://members.cox.net/digz/masterlist.html
Unread 3rd July, 2004, 02:17 PM
Rampage

Quote:
anyone can get your IP if they wish
No they can't. An admin can, but he's not 'anyone' is he, and if he's that way inclinced he can cause you a hell of a lot of trouble without knowing your UP. Quakenet even have the +x switch so peoples IP is hidden - ever wondered why?

As with a lot of things like that, because you don't care you don't see why anyone else might. I bet you kick up a stink when it is a problem to you, though.
Unread 3rd July, 2004, 08:56 PM
Unstoppable

PurplePants - I think you worry too much. When QuakeNet's services go offline, you join and no longer have +x so someone can capture your IP then. When you join another IRC network (if you choose) you may have your IP captured.

If someone attacts your IP you can take legal action against them. Your ISP won't tolerate it so why do you worry about it? Secure yourself as best you can but when in the event you do get attacked, report the attact to your ISP and let them deal with it.
Unread 5th July, 2004, 11:50 AM
Rampage

Quote:
If someone attacts your IP you can take legal action against them
I can see you've never actually tried to do that

You've also obviously never had your game lagged out. What you're proposing are reasonable looking solutions for bolting the stable door.
Unread 5th July, 2004, 01:56 PM
Administrator/UTAN Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePants
You've also obviously never had your game lagged out
Your saying that you have had your game lagged out, but can you actually prove it was a targetted attack? How can you not be sure it wasnt the server being DDoS'd or infact that it was just your connection having a few issues?
Unread 6th July, 2004, 01:10 AM
Rampage

If you have the right kit facing out and know what you're doing you could work it out, but I don't. Since I tried not to let my IP slip out it would've been tricky to know who to target so it wasn't a problem for me.

On the other hand, I've watched someone do it to someone else, so I know that was the real thing

I've also had someone hack my server because he couldn't work out my IP at the time (thanks to +x). Of course, we had logs and he bragged about it in public forum. The response from his ISP was... well, I don't know because they never replied.
Unread 6th July, 2004, 05:00 AM
Dominating

are you ok ? You should just stay off the net man.
Unread 6th July, 2004, 11:53 AM
Rampage

Hey, it's refreshing to see someone so naive and innocent, but best stay off the net, man, in case something bad sees you.

Oh, and before you go you could let geoff@jolt know that the effort he put in for me in dealing with the hackers ISP was a figment of my paranoid imagination.