You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Front Page > Downloads > Unreal Tournament > Admin

Unread 23rd July, 2006, 01:44 AM
Holy Shit!!

Default Hostname Ban

-
Hostname Ban v1.2
For Linux & Windows Dedicated Servers

» Download Here! «

-------------------------
Hostname Ban
Created By MSuLL
-------------------------

Hostname Ban is a banning system that allows admins to ban players by their, you guessed it, hostname. Using this method, an admin can effectively block many lamers from their servers by banning by hostname ranges.
(for example: *.mytown.newyork.theplanet.net)

Many hosts use this sort of naming system, where a region or city is given a prefix - a perfect way to ban a range.

Use wisely though! If you are not careful you can end up banning a lot of legitimate players from your server.

The skeptics / lamers / cheaters / etc will say that this will cause lag, generate too much traffic resolving the DNS, and other such crap. This system was tested with 100% sucess on a server with 30 players connected simultaneously.

That's about it, if you have any questions, you know who to complain to.

Enjoy everyone!
- MSuLL

Code:
Changelog:
===========
----------------
| Version 1.20 |
----------------
(First Official Release)
- [Added] WebAdmin interface
- [Added] Extra protection against invalid entries
- [Added] 'check' command

----------------
| Version 1.10 |
----------------
(First Public Beta)
- [Added] 'mutate' commands

----------------
| Version 1.0 |
----------------
(First Private Beta)

+-------------+
|  Thanks To  |
+-------------+
- PurplePants: For OPBan, which I used a lot as a
reference while making the WebAdmin interface.

- [es]Rush: For creating IpToCountry, the backbone
of this mod.

- {SDA}Baiter: For beta testing and feedback.

- lism: He was the one who first proposed this idea.

- |KOA|The_Dave: For servers to test on, a website,
and a lot of support for all this time!

- Azazel: For the hosting of UnrealAdmin.org,
which is my little base of operations.

----------------
| MSuLL - 2006 |
----------------
Attached Files
File Type: zip HostnameBan_v12.zip (30.3 KB, 991 views)

Last edited by Matthew : 24th July, 2006 at 12:53 PM.
Unread 23rd July, 2006, 09:18 PM
Holy Shit!!

Awesome Job Matthew!
Unread 23rd July, 2006, 10:32 PM
Holy Shit!!

Good stuff Matt! Keep up the great work!
Unread 24th July, 2006, 12:50 AM
Killing Spree

Good Job Matthew !!! Will put it on at once.

I assume the new check command can be used with multi-servers. Ban on server 1 and mutate hb check on server 2... ?
Unread 24th July, 2006, 05:23 AM
Holy Shit!!

Um Missie I've said it many times, this thing cannot do multi-servers. If you attempt to use the HostnameBan.ini external file for all of your servers, you will just end up royally screwing it up.

You've been warned three times... I can't be held responsible if you kill your servers.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 01:14 PM
Killing Spree

Hmmm, oke m8. I was thinking maybe you added the check command for this. My wrong, sorry. Will remove the hostnameban then. bummer.

Still a top job though, keep up the great work !!

Greetz
Unread 24th July, 2006, 01:31 PM
Holy Shit!!

Why remove it?

Do you really ban that many people that it is an issue to copy the banlist to 2-3 servers?

I manage 5 and have never had any issue. Just get into webadmin, do a mass edit of the policy, then copy - paste everything over.

Easy.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 06:14 PM
Holy Shit!!

Selling like hotcakes

35 total from my website and this one put together.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 11:53 PM
Holy Shit!!

Found some issue:

I banned 2 hosts:
*.dsl.pol.co.uk
*.sand.blueyonder.co.uk

and then:

ScriptLog: [Hostname Ban] New Player: xxx - *.*.*.* - user-****.lns4-c12.dsl.pol.co.uk
ScriptLog: [Hostname Ban] xxx - Login DENIED - (Policy Match: *.sand.blueyonder.co.uk)
Unread 25th July, 2006, 12:11 AM
Holy Shit!!

|o| seems my policy match reporting is a little off-kelter

thanks
Unread 30th July, 2006, 07:04 AM
Holy Shit!!

Code:
Critical: appError called:
Critical: LinkActor CTF-Amon.LinkActor0 (Function UBrowser.UBrowserHTTPClient.SetError:0000) Infinite script recursion (250 calls) detected
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Critical: FFrame::Serialize
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (LinkActor CTF-Amon.LinkActor0, Function UBrowser.UBrowserHTTPClient.Resolved)
Critical: AInternetLink::execResolve
Critical: (LinkActor CTF-Amon.LinkActor0 @ Function UBrowser.UBrowserHTTPClient.Browse : 00C7)
Critical: (LinkActor CTF-Amon.LinkActor0, Function UBrowser.UBrowserHTTPClient.Resolved)
Critical: (LinkActor CTF-Amon.LinkActor0 @ Function UBrowser.UBrowserHTTPClient.Browse : 00C7)
Critical: (LinkActor CTF-Amon.LinkActor0, Function UBrowser.UBrowserHTTPClient.Timer)
Critical: AActor::Tick
Critical: AInternetLink::Tick
Critical: ATcpLink::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=1)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: UServerCommandlet::Main
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 07/29/06 22:55:30

Any idea what caused this?
Unread 30th July, 2006, 02:54 PM
Holy Shit!!

That's IpToCountry's area of things. However the reason it crashed was because of the function in the engine which resolves hostnames.
Unread 30th July, 2006, 09:49 PM
Godlike

If it resolves a hostname it proberly reffers a HTTP Site right? Can i put that script on my own webserver for example? I guess those who are having this scripts up their site proberly get reffered all day by various servers now.. Have'nt find the source for IP-toCountry yet....

*requests working php example*

Oh yeah and thanks for mentioning my name
Unread 30th July, 2006, 10:01 PM
Holy Shit!!

That's all on IpToCountry's end. Head over to that thread
Unread 31st July, 2006, 12:35 AM
Godlike

Yes.

1 more thing, the /editlist page contains a plain text thing. Would it be possible to make the layout same as UT defaults Ban list? like *.*.*.* but then capable of taking up to 255 chars / Hostnames and all?

Edit: The link to main admin in hostnameban needs to be changed into \ServerAdmin\ (Slash)

Last edited by lism : 31st July, 2006 at 12:44 AM.
Unread 9th December, 2006, 08:54 AM
Holy Shit!!

Matthew, if you ever decide to continue working on the Unreal Administration System or want to develop HostnameBan, or someone else, who has the knowledge of developing it:
Would it be possible to add an exception-list (either for IPs or ASC ids)? I mean, if I ban a whole host, sometimes it would be useful to have an allow-list to let those ips/ids join to the server from that host. What do you think?
Unread 9th December, 2006, 03:05 PM
Holy Shit!!

You can already do this

From readme:

Quote:
To ban a policy, use: DENY,host (where host is the player's hostname)
To accept a policy, use: ACCEPT,host
So if you have a range banned DENY,*.alpha.myisp.com then all you do is:
ACCEPT,davemiller.alpha.myisp.com

This would allow 'davemiller', but block everyone else from under alpha.myisp.com
Unread 9th December, 2006, 04:22 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
You can already do this

From readme:

So if you have a range banned DENY,*.alpha.myisp.com then all you do is:
ACCEPT,davemiller.alpha.myisp.com

This would allow 'davemiller', but block everyone else from under alpha.myisp.com

It would totally pwn if HostNameBan and ASC ID could be incorporated in the same mod, so you could unban the good legit players that are playing in the same ISP Region as the banned offender.
Unread 9th December, 2006, 04:54 PM
Holy Shit!!

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I added a small thing to ASC which would allow other mods to connect to it and be given a player's ASC ID. Thanks to this, ability in ASC, adding a check to HostnameBan would be a walk in the park. I'll add it to a checklist for features.
Unread 9th December, 2006, 05:29 PM
Holy Shit!!

What about us who dont need ASC on our servers though?

You know i'm a strong supporter of ASC, but I dont need it on one of my servers, thus I'm stuck without ASC ID.