You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

BeyondUnreal News

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - General Chat

Unread 8th July, 2005, 07:08 AM
Dominating

Default Redirecting old server IP to new IP (Not D/L redirection)

Is it possible to redirect clients which connect to my IP to a game hosted on a different server?

For example, imagine I have moved my server to a machine with a faster net connection, but people are still trying to access the old server IP. I would like them to be automatically sent ("redirected") to the new server IP instead.

I am prepared to accept that this isn't possible. But it would be handy if it was. It would act much like HTTP's "Object Moved" response.

If it's not possible, I have two alternatives: 1) leave the old server running but with a message saying "Please go to our new server nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn, and update your Favourites". 2) Outside of UT, actually redirect the ports on my old IP to ports on the new IP, using Linux magic; of course this would not help the netspeed!!!

TIA, noggers
Unread 8th July, 2005, 09:17 AM
Holy Shit!!

Another option:

Leave the old server running with only a small map with a transporter in it that sends the players to the new server.
Unread 8th July, 2005, 02:41 PM
Holy Shit!!

How does one do that?

Te URL entry?

Well uh anyway what I really have found a love in is a new fuction I added to the ASC74x series where you can type an IP and hit send, and it redirects all players to the specified IP. We use it for clan matches all the time, or if the server needs to be taken down for maintainence.

However I am interested in the Transporter functions. How would one do this then?
Unread 8th July, 2005, 02:51 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
However I am interested in the Transporter functions. How would one do this then?
I dont map, so I do not know the exact answer. One of my clan members (RJ)knows how to do that stuff, you can ask him here.
Unread 8th July, 2005, 03:23 PM
Holy Shit!!

Ah me and RJ know each other - he's a smart kid.
Unread 8th July, 2005, 07:08 PM
Dominating

Thanks PizzaMan, at first I thought you were jokin, but it seems such powerful programming really is possible with UT.

For those interested, check out: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Teleporter

It seems with this method, you could create a hall of transporters to all your favourite UT servers; how cool?! (Although of course, you couldn't transport back unless their maps supported it.)

Matt, sorry to hear about the missing server, and the missing TrunkMonkey. We should consolidate our sorry asses... :| x noggs
Unread 8th July, 2005, 07:22 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginBasher

It seems with this method, you could create a hall of transporters to all your favourite UT servers; how cool?!
AKA a portal server

Truff has one, and my clan had one.
Unread 25th October, 2006, 11:28 AM
Dominating

FWIW I was so curious that I made my own in the end. You can see it in action on unreal://213.121.244.94/ . It's called CTF-ThornsPortal.
Unread 25th October, 2006, 12:10 PM
Godlike

A small redirecting mutator would do the job also.
Unread 20th September, 2007, 04:59 AM
Dominating

Here's some code I used in AutoTeamBalance's "forcetravel" command:

PlayerPawn(p).PreClientTravel(); // I don't know if this is really neccessary, but it looks neat
PlayerPawn(p).ClientTravel("unreal://new.ip.address.and:port/", TRAVEL_Absolute, False);
Unread 20th September, 2007, 08:20 AM
Holy Shit!!

yeah my mapper made a nice map to with some portals,You can choose a little train to the server you like So yes it is possible
Fun-Dump.com 5k uniques daily
Phunneyshit.net 2k uniques daily
Trash n Babes 1,5k uniques daily
Babe-Dumper 1,5k uniques daily <New Site
Unread 20th September, 2007, 09:50 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginBasher View Post
Here's some code I used in AutoTeamBalance's "forcetravel" command:

PlayerPawn(p).PreClientTravel(); // I don't know if this is really neccessary, but it looks neat
PlayerPawn(p).ClientTravel("unreal://new.ip.address.and:port/", TRAVEL_Absolute, False);
would be nice if you made such mutator, it sure would take more lines of code than just those 2

how about making it with a configurable ini file?

NewIP=
Port=
WaitTime=
PlaySound=

I'm sure many server admins would love that mutator when they change servers.

The wait time funktion could be usefull to keep the player in a certain map reading the reasons for server switch, info etc.

The optional PlaySound could be the serveradmin recording an audio instruction. (e.g. ServerTravel.AudioReason) So the audio would be saved in UAX format. That should be simple to make for most serveradmins and many clans have a mapper also who could do it. Hell, just mail me the WAV file and i'll convert it into UAX format, np.

Now, that would be a useful mutator! (at least to me)

Denne hjemmeside er en vittighed, humor er godt men dobbeltmoral er skidt

Last edited by [DANISH]TheDane : 20th September, 2007 at 09:53 AM.
Unread 7th June, 2008, 07:45 AM
Dominating

I did eventually implement such a mutator. Although I'm afraid it doesn't have the PlaySound feature you suggested.

http://neuralyte.org/~joey/ut/RedirectPlayers0.1.zip

The config file looks like this:

[RedirectPlayers.RedirectPlayers]
bEnabled=True
TargetURL=unreal://85.131.247.65:6666/
SecondsBeforeRedirection=5
bTellPlayers=True
bLog=True

With bTellPlayers set, players get the message "You are being redirected to "$TargetURL. Sorry, I did not consider adding a customizable message.

It checks for new players every second, but I found immediate redirection caused my UT to crash, hence the default 5 second pause.

Oh great, I think I've just realised it may have a bug. If someone joins and leaves before the specified time (i.e. they leave the server before they get redirected) I think RedirectPlayers will get stuck on that PlayerID, and will refuse to redirect any more players during that game. (This is a side-affect of the algorithm I used to make sure each player is only redirected once - that's important because if they don't have the map, and you keep making them repeatedly connect to the target server, they will never complete the download of the map!) Until I find a fix for that, a workaround would be to change map or restart the server every now and then. (Although if players do get stuck playing on your redirect server, presumably the game will end and the map will switch, and then RedirectPlayers will send them on their way as it should.)

Last edited by nogginBasher : 7th June, 2008 at 08:02 AM.
Unread 7th June, 2008, 02:53 PM
Godlike

Hmm.. since I also support v400 clients I use a different approach to redirection in some cases. I spawn an actor client side and make it execute the "open" command on the client and I also make sure to destroy the pawn after that command's been executed, so you needn't worry about multiple redirections. This works for all client versions, but does require an extra download of a few KB

Good to see you're still around 'basher!

Edit: I was also having problems preventing the "UTServerAdminSpectator" from inclusion in another mutator. I finally fixed it by only getting players whose StartTime is >0.
Edit2: even StartTime>0 isn't without bugs, because really "lucky" players can join so fast they actually have a starttime of 0. To work around this, I perform a check for each human player that enters the game and manually set their starttime to 1, if it happens to be 0 Note to self: I suppose I could also use your method of actually excluding the "UTServerAdminSpectator". Maybe do that serverside and replicate the result as a string to the clients.

Last edited by adminthis : 11th June, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
Unread 7th June, 2008, 03:54 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginBasher View Post
It seems with this method, you could create a hall of transporters to all your favourite UT servers; how cool?! (Although of course, you couldn't transport back unless their maps supported it.)
Check out 3's Monsterhunt and Coop server. It has a hall like the one you describe.

Also when Truff's was around there was a server up with a hall leading to all of their servers.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 11th June, 2008, 03:34 PM
Forum Newcomer

We used a map that just had a massive sign with the message we have moved to to IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. We took out all the weapons and stuff so people couldnt play on the server. Seemed to work quite well and doesnt require any code, just someone who can make a basic map.