You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.


BeyondUnreal News

 
Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > Wormbos Area > General Chat

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 24th August, 2005, 07:01 PM
LeeBe's Avatar
LeeBe LeeBe is offline
Holy Shit!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Uk.gif
Posts: 1,340
Default Opengl32.dll

Hi, I was going to pm you but saw your sticky.

Theres a few 'legit' opengl32.dll files available on the net, the instructions tell you to copy it into your game directory

http://www.3dfxzone.it/koolsmoky/glide.html

5. For OpenGL S3TC (DXTC) support, 3dfx OpenGL ICD version 1.0.0.0761 (1,102,096 bytes) is required. Legacy texture compression as in Q3A will compress to FXT1 on-the-fly and is not precompressed. UT 2nd CD textures are precompressed. Copy the OpenGL ICD as opengl32.dll to the application or game folder.

17. If you have problems running OpenGL apps, search for 3dfxogl.dll in the windows system directory and copy the file to the apps' directory and rename it to opengl32.dll.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hawksoft.com/download/

Mesa files

The following software is not supported by Hawk Software, but is made available as a service to 3dfx owners/programmers.

mesa321.zip(411K) Precompiled Mesa 3.2.1 3dfx driver. Includes opengl32.dll only. See warning below. (6236 downloads)

mesa3dll.zip(356K) Precompiled Mesa 3.0 3dfx driver. Includes opengl32.dll, glu32.dll, and glut32.dll files. Recompiled with the latest updates to run Unreal, and clipping problems are now fixed. To use the drivers, copy the 3 DLLs to the same directory (folder) as the program you want to use them with. WARNING!! Do not copy opengl32.dll and glu32.dll to your /system or /system32 directories. You may, however, copy glut32.dll to your /system or /system32 directory if you want to only have one copy on your hard drive. (18542 downloads)

mesa3lib.zip(50K) Precompiled Mesa 3.0 3dfx libraries and include files. Includes opengl32.lib, glu32.lib, glut32.lib, gl.h, glu.h, and glut.h files. These libraries were compiled with Visual C++ 5.0 . (12438 downloads)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.3dfxzone.it/koolsmoky/oglicd.html

Installation
Copy the binary as OpenGL32.dll to the application or game folder. Do not replace it with the system folder's OpenGL32.dll.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

that was from a 5 min google :? im sure there will be a few more around.

Just wanted to point out that its not always a cheat and there is a legit reason to have that file in there.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 26th August, 2005, 04:10 PM
Wormbo's Avatar
Wormbo Wormbo is offline
out of order
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,383
Default

3Dfx and stuff does not apply to UT2004.
I'll repeat what I said: There's no valid reason to have OpenGL32.dll in your UT2004\System directory.
__________________
Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | PlanetJailbreak | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives
Quote:
<@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 28th August, 2005, 06:52 PM
Azura's Avatar
Azura Azura is offline
Holy Shit!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,020
Default

I finally came across that software that is used to analyze a game's performance. There's just too many options that can be abused and the file shouldn't be there if a player wants to go online.
__________________
How to feck up a perfectly good game:
UT (1999) = UnbelievableGameSoCoolIMustHelpBringNewPlayers Tournament
UT (2008) = Unreal ThrustMyPrivatePartsInYourFaceBish

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 28th August, 2005, 07:24 PM
LeeBe's Avatar
LeeBe LeeBe is offline
Holy Shit!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Uk.gif
Posts: 1,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo
3Dfx and stuff does not apply to UT2004.
I'll repeat what I said: There's no valid reason to have OpenGL32.dll in your UT2004\System directory.
sorry but it does

UT2004 system specs

Operating System: Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP
Processor: Pentium® III or AMD Athlon 1.0 GHz processor or faster (1.5 GHz or faster processor recommended)
Memory: 128 MB RAM minimum (256 MB recommended)
Hard Disk Space: 5.5 GB free
Video: Any Windows-compatible video card(NVIDIA GeForce 2 or ATI Radeon with at least 64 megs of video memory recommended)
Sound: Windows®-compatible sound card. NVIDIA® nForce(tm) or other motherboards/soundcards containing the Dolby® Digital Interactive Content Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio
DirectX®: DirectX® version 8.1(included)or higher
Multiplayer: Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP)play supported | 33.6K baud modem or broadband Internet connection recommended


that means it should work with a VooDoo card, maybe it runs crap, but it doesnt say anywhere "dont use a 3dfx card"

they might even have tried it with a voodoo card, with updated drivers (see first post) found it ran bad so upgraded their graphics card, though the 3dfx driver (specifically opengl32.dll) would still be in their system folder.

a lot of might's and maybe's but all possible.

im not saying everyone should let people play with opengl32 in their system folder, just saying they shouldnt automaticly be labled cheaters for it, especially when they'd get banned from a lot of places for it and told to 'buy the game again' if they want to play
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 29th August, 2005, 01:13 PM
Wormbo's Avatar
Wormbo Wormbo is offline
out of order
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,383
Default

Sorry to say that, but that's too bad for those 3Dfx users.
The server has no way to find out, whether the OpenGL32.dll is legit or not. Looking at the number of OpenGL hacks it's definately better to assume the worst case.
__________________
Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | PlanetJailbreak | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives
Quote:
<@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 29th August, 2005, 01:14 PM
LeeBe's Avatar
LeeBe LeeBe is offline
Holy Shit!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Uk.gif
Posts: 1,340
Default

I guess that depends which side of the ban your on :|
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 7th October, 2006, 10:45 PM
.:vVv:.Nikki .:vVv:.Nikki is offline
Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5
Default

The bottom line to this is, it is possible that someone who is not well versed in video drivers could infact download the link that the original poster made, follow the directions as instructed and place this OpenGl.dll file in their UT folder and not know any better.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 7th October, 2006, 10:54 PM
Shambler Shambler is offline
Holy Shit!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 875
Default

Look at the dates, this topic is over a year old.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 7th October, 2006, 11:02 PM
Warped_Out Warped_Out is offline
Godlike
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 426
Default

Nikki, your absolutely right 'but' it is up to the server admin who placed the ban you are referring to in the Ban Appeals Forum to decide whether or not the client made a mistake or is a hacker. In the case of the recent Ban Appeal, I would say the offending client made a mistake and most likely the one in your clan who did the same, however, the person considering the ban and the server admin who placed the ban is the one who must decide.

As for the OpenGL32.dll, I suspect it will remain in most admins blacklist files, as they are in mine, as it can be and has been used in many wallhacks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 8th October, 2006, 03:42 AM
.:vVv:.Nikki .:vVv:.Nikki is offline
Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5
Default

I realize the thread is over a year ago, it doesn't mean the issue no longer happens

We were able to prove that a player from our clan that was caught with that file (opengl.dll) in here UT folder was due to corrupted drivers.

The girl in our clan had an OLD video card, she got a new one and her father installed it. Well the father went and got drivers from the following location

http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/vood..._4.0_xp_ge.htm

Here is the post I made on our forum regarding this:

The issue is resolved, the information provided to A!M FooFoo did prove that she was NOT hacking. The drivers that pops loaded were corrupted which caused the false error

Hats off to FooFoo for staying in contact with me and working to get to the truth. I know some admins wouldn't go that extra mile to prove someone is innocent but this guy did.

Here is the post that FooFoo made in regards to Voodoo

http://www.liandri.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4459

Thanks for your input guys and for the research you all did in this matter.

I have posted this HERE to let others know that it is possible that someone could have loaded corrupted drivers as our clan member did.

Just would like to make sure that the admins do not ban without doing some homework
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 8th October, 2006, 03:45 AM
.:vVv:.Voodoo .:vVv:.Voodoo is offline
Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Default

Voodoo no hax0r ^.~
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 8th October, 2006, 06:43 PM
ShiningSquirrel ShiningSquirrel is offline
Holy Shit!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 740
Default

Things like this are one of the reasons I did something I thought I would never do.
I removed all anticheat and UTAN from all of my servers.

I can't condone the attitude "assume they are guilty first".
I would rather allow a dozen cheaters to play on my servers then to ban a single innocent player, and the reverse attitude that it is better to assume they are chaeting is reprehensible.

There are several cases where a legitimate file, a KNOWN legitimate file with no possibility of being used as a cheat has led to a player being banned, and even globally banned, and the admins simply saying to bad for them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 8th October, 2006, 11:22 PM
Wormbo's Avatar
Wormbo Wormbo is offline
out of order
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,383
Default

Show me a single case where "a KNOWN legitimate file with no possibility of being used as a cheat has led to a player being [...] globally banned".
__________________
Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | PlanetJailbreak | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives
Quote:
<@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 9th October, 2006, 12:43 AM
AnnihilatorSC's Avatar
AnnihilatorSC AnnihilatorSC is offline
Dominating
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningSquirrel
Things like this are one of the reasons I did something I thought I would never do.
I removed all anticheat and UTAN from all of my servers.

I can't condone the attitude "assume they are guilty first".
I would rather allow a dozen cheaters to play on my servers then to ban a single innocent player, and the reverse attitude that it is better to assume they are chaeting is reprehensible.
Agree / second.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 9th October, 2006, 02:32 AM
ShiningSquirrel ShiningSquirrel is offline
Holy Shit!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo
Show me a single case where "a KNOWN legitimate file with no possibility of being used as a cheat has led to a player being [...] globally banned".
Unfortunetly, many of the global bans have no evidance attached so it is not possible for me to search them.
BUT, I know for a fact, as do many people, thet if a player connected to any of the UTAN admin's servers with a "suspect" file, he would get a global ban faster then you could blink.
As to suspiciouse files, what about "quickshot.exe? Players have been banned for having this file in thier prefeth folder, AntiTCC has it as a blacklisted file.
If a player connected to one of Limited's, it's a sure thing he would get a global ban.
There are FAR more legitimate files with this name then there are cheats, so the odds are that the player is NOT cheating, it's simply the law of averages.
You yourself said you would not let a player on your servers with this file.
As to opengl32.dll, I found several video apps that ran tests on your system, and if you tried to test the performance of 2k4, would place that file in the folder without your knowledge. When the subject was braught up, we where simply told the apps "could" be used for cheating. LOTS of apps can be used for cheating that can go undetected.
You claim there is no legitimate reason to have the opengl32.dll file in the UT folder, but as has been shown, there ARE reasons to have it in your folder without it being a cheat, and there are PLENTY of global bans for that fine in the database.
I am sorry, but the "it can be used to cheat" argument holds no water.
There are lots of things that "can be used to cheat", but if we ban them all, we won't have any players left at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 9th October, 2006, 03:34 AM
Warped_Out Warped_Out is offline
Godlike
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 426
Default

Yes we will..........

You're a typical 'far left' liberal extremist who would rather let the hacks of the world kill the game without any retribution being taken to counter their actions.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 9th October, 2006, 06:46 AM
ShiningSquirrel ShiningSquirrel is offline
Holy Shit!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped_Out
Yes we will..........

You're a typical 'far left' liberal extremist who would rather let the hacks of the world kill the game without any retribution being taken to counter their actions.
So you would rather ban innocent players if you catch a few cheaters along the way?
How many innocent players being banned to catch a single cheater is acceptable? 10, 20, 50, 100? how about 1000?
Why don't you make it easy and ban all players from your servers then you can be sure no cheaters will be able to get on?

You and people like you are killing the game far quicker then the cheaters ever will, and your doing exectly what they want you to do. I'm sure people like BFG thank the gods for admins like you every day.

Stopping the cheaters is one thing, but you people are getting out of hand.

As you guys are so fond of saying, it's MY server and I can do as I damn well please! If I choose to let a player with an opengl32.dll or a quickshot.exe file on thier computer play on my server, that's MY business and none of yours.
As long as they play nice and don't cheat on my server, I don't really give a rats ass if thay have elflite, spiderlite or any of the other confirmed bots on thier computer. If they use them, thier banned, if they don't who cares?
I'm through worrying about the "community" as the "community" has been reduced to a joke. When someone really does try to do somthing like Azure, no one wants to help him.
You guys created the monster and now your living with it, good luck because your going to need it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 9th October, 2006, 11:30 AM
Troublesome Troublesome is offline
Godlike
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped_Out
Yes we will..........

You're a typical 'far left' liberal extremist who would rather let the hacks of the world kill the game without any retribution being taken to counter their actions.
lol..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 9th October, 2006, 01:19 PM
FU2 Leopold FU2 Leopold is offline
Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Default

Funny that this "old" thread is still active, but only a few interested parties have looked at my current ban appeal ... http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo
I'll repeat what I said: There's no valid reason to have OpenGL32.dll in your UT2004\System directory.
Since this happened I have found more information and I understand why my opengl32.dll file was flagged as being in the wrong folder, but I wasn't to know that before I tried several hours worth of driver reinstalls to get my UT working properly again. Of course I wouldn't have put that file there if had known, but it's not like there's a warning on the game's box or in the manual not to put that file there. It didn't occur to me to search the banned list of files to see if a graphics driver was in there - as an average user of UT why should it? I am a computer tech by trade and if I can make an innocent mistake, anyone can.

Anyway, my ban looks like it will not be lifted as the clan concerned say "appeal to UTAN" and UTAN say "appeal to the clan concerned" so I'm in catch 22 now.
I'm not too worried about being banned from that particular server, but I do take offence to being labelled a cheat in public when I absolutely am not.

Leo

Last edited by FU2 Leopold : 9th October, 2006 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 9th October, 2006, 04:16 PM
Warped_Out Warped_Out is offline
Godlike
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 426
Default

Leopold,

UTAN is just a ban management system. For the admin of the server you're banned on to say, contact UTAN is ludicrous. They are the only ones that can delete the ban that they placed on their server. If the admin had any sense, he could see that your appeal and explanation should be satisfactory to lift the ban on their server. In addition, it is the server admin that should address your Ban Appeal. It's actually against the rules for most of us to randomly address any Ban Appeals that we are not involved with.

It's pretty obvious to me you only made a mistake. Most server admins, when contacted with an explanation for the reason for this type of mistake would normally give a player another chance. You may have run into an inexperienced server admin, perhaps he doesn't like you anyway, or he is an extremist on the opposite end of the spectrum from Squirrely that it isn't worth pursuing any further and just move on.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:52 AM.


 

All pages are copyright The Unreal Admins Page.
You may not copy any pages without our express permission.