You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - General Chat

Unread 18th February, 2004, 12:36 AM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wages
There seems to be an advantage to client setting netspeed higher than the MaxClientRate set on the server. It seems to make you more difficult to hit.
Normally, this is what I see whan a client is much slower than other players. You can tell this because their ping is really high and their movements appear real jerky to others.

I'm not sure what to make of a report that suddenly makes a client really hard to hit when they're over the server settings and everyone else is at them (I think this is what your report was suggesting isn't it?)

Quote:
Some people report things actually feel smoother to them this way.
From an overspeed Client perspective, their game play might seem more instantaneous, but only slightly. To everyone else, I would think it would be very accurate targeting when they shot them.

Quote:
I think I saw a mod that compare the client netspeed against the server MaxClientRate. If the netspeed is higher, then the client gets a message and loses health until netspeed is reduced.
This is hilarious. No, I never heard of this one, please send us a link. I expect this was written by some frustrated server admin who was tired of people trying to overspeed and killing his server's inbound capacity.

I'm glad the forums are interesting and of help.
Unread 18th February, 2004, 01:48 AM
Forum Newcomer

The mod is found on this site...It is called netspeed observer.

Description: Well, this is a simple mutator to observe the netspeed of the clients connected to it. If the netspeed is above the set value the client gets a message to set it on a lower value and his health starts decreasing ;-) . The mutator is server-side-only. That means no client has to download it (or can cheat it ;-) ), even when it's only 7kb.
Unread 18th February, 2004, 06:17 AM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMeat
Set your UT client to some outragously high number, say 100000. Connect the server you want to check out. Press F6 and you should see the value your client was "downgraded" to, the max for that server.
I misunderstood what you were telling me to do. I understand now, and did what I think you meant. That does work. Thanks!

And further, there may not be enough data to send to use all of the MaxClientRate of the server. So, the F6 numbers may be lower than the MaxClientRate of the server.

I think I get it. That makes sense, now.

Thanks for humoring an admin noob!

wages
Unread 19th February, 2004, 12:06 AM
Forum Newcomer

My understanding is that one of the problems with a higher tickrate is that the weapons balance is altered from what the game designers intended. Typically, the mingun and pulse rifle do more damage in a shorter amount of time. There is a mutator that claims to address this.

Its called CBTIW & AB - ClanBase Tickrate Independent Weapons (TIW) & Anti(?) Boost). You can get it at
http://www.clanbase.com/miscdl.php?did=797

Some commenters on that page seem to think that is can mess with UT's net code (no idea how it will interact with the UTPure update if and when it comes) but I haven't noticed any negative effects. Anyone else have experience or feedback?

This mutator introduces two completely new weapons (TIW_minigun2 and TIW_pulsegun, IIRC). Players who have keys bound to "GetWeapon botpack.minigun2" or similar will need to change them to "SwitchWeapon 7". This setting should work on all servers, whether or not they're running TIW. PulseGun seems unaffected.

I have it installed on my server (Windows server, tickrate 35) and it does seem to help somewhat.

Personally I love playing on a higher tickrate server. Checkout the UT netcode tutorial here on unrealadmin if you haven't already. It has a wealth of info.